The theme for 2016 “Breastfeeding, Sure give it a go by’” is unique to the province of NL.
- Encourages pregnant women and family members to think about how they will feed their babies (refer to the resource ‘Feeding Your Baby: So, You Have a Decision to Make’: http://www.babyfriendlynl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Feeding-your-baby_2015.pdf)
- Celebrates the increase in breastfeeding initiation rates in NL (Perinatal Program, NL 2016 statistics).
- Recognizes that breastfeeding is not always easy, especially in the beginning, but with the right support most women can have a successful experience. Breastfeeding requires the support of family, friends, health care providers, and other community members. Refer to the ‘Newfoundland & Labrador Breastfeeds – ‘Support’ video clip:
- Celebrates the growing number of resources available to women and families in NL: http://www.babyfriendlynl.ca/support-services/general-information/
- Regional Health Authority breastfeeding support groups
- La Leche League leaders in the community (With a growing number of groups across the province!)
- Breastfeeding Support – Newfoundland and Labrador, Facebook Support Group! (amazing group of admins!)
o Release of the 2016 breastfeeding public education and awareness video titled ‘If Babies Could Talk about Breastfeeding at Home’
o Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/babyfriendlynl/
o Daily tweets on Baby-Friendly NL twitter account
o Facebook contests
o Breastfeeding community champions (Stay tuned for nominations!)
o Rogers public service announcements
o VOCM website ad
o Breastfeeding Support – Newfoundland and Labrador Facebook group launch of new logo
o Carrot Rewards – breastfeeding focused activities
o Carrot Rewards is free mobile app that rewards Newfoundlanders and Labradorians for living healthier lives. Carrot Rewards allows users to earn points from participating loyalty programs, such as Aeroplan® and SCENE®, by simply downloading the app and completing health-focused activities, such as participating in quizzes, learning how to live better and achieving daily step count targets. This free app works on smartphones and is available for download on IOS or Android device or by visiting www.carrotrewards.ca. During World Breastfeeding Week, individuals who downloaded this app in June, will see offers and have an opportunity to respond to breastfeeding focused activities to earn points.
“Make Breastfeeding Your Business NL Toolkit” The toolkit can be used by a “volunteer”, including professionals, community members and breastfeeding families, to approach local businesses and organizations to help them better support breastfeeding. Go to http://www.babyfriendlynl.ca/community/for-businesses/ to order kits.
The Toolkit contains:
- Information for the volunteer and the business/organization.
- Decals for businesses and organizations to display to show that they are a “Breastfeeding Friendly place”.
- The names of all businesses, organizations and municipalities that support breastfeeding through the use of the “Making Breastfeeding Your Business NL Toolkit” will be posted on the “Breastfeeding Support Map” on the www.babyfriendlynl.ca website
o Proclamation – Use our sample proclamation as is or use it to develop your own proclamation sample-proclamation-wbw-2016
o Breastfeeding, Sure Give it a Go By’ t-shirts – disseminated to each regional health authority (numbers limited)
o Handouts and Posters – Please refer to http://www.babyfriendlynl.ca/breastfeeding-information/resources/ All handouts and posters can be ordered from your Regional Health Authority