The Baby-Friendly Council of NL (previously known as the Breastfeeding Coalition of NL), established in 1992, is an interdisciplinary committee with representatives from all regions in the province strongly committed to increasing the initiation and duration of breastfeeding.
The Perinatal Program Newfoundland and Labrador (PPNL) (Visit Website) evolved as the lead agency supporting the ongoing work of the Council, of which the Provincial Breastfeeding Consultant is chair, and is supported by the Department of Health and Community Services (DHCS).
Please click on the image to the left to see a close up of the Baby-Friendly banner, or click here for a PDF of the banner.
The Baby-Friendly Council, in affiliation with the Breastfeeding Committee for Canada, is the designated provincial body to monitor the implementation of the Baby-Friendly Initiative (BFI) in Newfoundland and Labrador.
The BFI is a global campaign of the WHO and UNICEF. This campaign recognizes that implementing evidenced-based practices in health and community services is crucial to the success of programs that protect, promote and support breastfeeding. The BFI is a continuous quality improvement initiative and represents best practice in maternal-newborn care. There are over 20,000 BFI designated health facilities globally and over 50 in Canada. For more information about the BFI go to www.breastfeedingcanada.ca.
Provincial funding is provided to the Baby-Friendly Council of NL from the DHCS and it is administered and managed by PPNL.
Newfoundland and Labrador will be a place where women will be supported to breastfeed exclusively for six months and beyond, consistent with national and global recommendations.
To provide leadership and support to the Regional Health Authorities, Aboriginal governments, and community partners in the implementation of the BFI within the health care system in NL.
The following principles will guide the Breastfeeding Strategic Plan:
- Research and evidence
- Community capacity
- Cultural sensitivity and inclusion
- Population health focus
PRIORITY AREAS OF FOCUS
- Communication and Strategy
- Public Education and Awareness
- Implementation of WHO/UNICEF Baby-Friendly Initiative
A GREAT START is a Breastfeeding Strategic Plan for Newfoundland and Labrador for 2014-2017.
For detailed information about A GREAT START, and to download a copy, please click here.
BABY-FRIENDLY COUNCIL OF NL STRUCTURE
Working Groups of the Baby-Friendly Council of NL:
- Research and Monitoring: To conduct research related to breastfeeding and infant feeding practices.
- Baby-Friendly Initiative: To provide support to Regional Health Authorities in the implementation of the BFI.
- Public Education and Awareness: To provide leadership and direction to the Baby-Friendly Council regarding the development and distribution of educational and promotional resources.
- Communication and Strategy: To increase awareness of importance of breastfeeding and the BFI with key government and health partner stakeholders.