There are a number of Newfoundland and Labrador based Facebook groups covering topics related to infant and young child feeding. These pages and groups may be of interest to you.
Local FACEBOOK pages/groups
The Baby-Friendly Council of NL is supported by funding from the Provincial Government and administered through the Perinatal Program NL. Council members are registered nurses and dietitians, lactation consultants, doctors, academics, and members of the breastfeeding community.
The Facebook Page aims to:
*NOTE: This site provides information and resources, but does not provide direct breastfeeding support. The administrators on this page will help connect you with direct breastfeeding support in (or near) your community. *
- Give you information, and resources about breastfeeding, the Baby-Friendly Initiative and other related topics, such as skin-to-skin contact with you and your baby.
- Link you with supports in your regional health authority including health professionals and resources.
- Share articles and new research related to infant feeding.
- Inform you (pregnant women, new mothers, and your families) about upcoming events/initiatives in NL, support groups, parenting events, education sessions, lactation consultant support, and prenatal education initiatives of the Baby-Friendly Council of NL.
- Provide hot topics related to breastfeeding: topic of the day- “Increasing milk production”, “Father’s role”, “Getting off to a Good Start in Hospital” “Accessing Support” etc, including tips and links to video clips and other resources.
- Connect you with other local social media/community networks that share information about infant feeding, in particular “Breastfeeding Moms in NL” https://www.facebook.com/groups/breastfeedingmomsinnl/, a mother-to-mother Facebook support group that provides mores one-on-one Q & A.
Breastfeeding Support – NL
*NOTE: This site provides mother-to-mother breastfeeding support*
Breastfeeding Support NL (formerly known as ‘Breastfeeding Moms in NL’) welcomes breastfeeding mothers (and supporters) living in (or from) Newfoundland and Labrador. Our goal is to provide mother-to-mother support so that moms are better able to reach their breastfeeding goals. The group is administered by accredited peer breastfeeding supporters and other experienced nursing moms. We are a “closed group,” meaning what is posted here will not show up on your personal Facebook Timeline or in your friends’ newsfeeds. (Your posts will, however, be viewable by anyone who is also a member of this group.)
Breastfeeding Support – NL originally started as a small group for La Leche League moms. The name was changed in 2011 in hopes that it would become more widely known as a place for any nursing mom from NL to come for information and support. Since then, this site has grown to well over 2500 members.
Tongue Tied NL – Awareness, Education, and Support
Tongue Tied NL is for parents of tongue tied children, adults, and health care providers. The purpose is to create awareness that tongue tie and lip tie are problems that have a significant impact on health and well-being, to help educate those who are looking for information, and to support those who are in need.
Natural Parenting Network Newfoundland and Labrador
“Natural parenting” is based on a desire to live and parent responsively and consciously. While no two families who practice natural parenting may define it the same way, there are several principles that are widely agreed to be part of this lifestyle.
Parents Helping Parents with Everyday Questions About Parenting – NL
Parenting can be tiring, frustrating, and it can test the patience, intelligence, and mettle of the hardiest of people. This group provides a place where parents can post everyday questions or tips regarding parenting.
Newfoundland Cloth Diapering Mamas and Papas
Providing support and information for those parents in the province who choose to use cloth diapers for their baby.
This group is open to all Newfoundlander parents (and caregivers) who wear their children in any kind of carrier for the purpose of getting tips, troubleshooting advice and support from experienced wearers.